Thursday, April 17, 2008

It's All About a Good Fight


I grew up loving the Sonics. I can remember in Jr Hi and High School going to games in the Key Arena. I remember the Sir Mixalot "no not in our house" days when everyone in Seattle loved the boys in green.

Somewhere along the line my interest in the team began to fade. It seemed like there was more complaining coming from the Sonics organization than anything else..."this stadium is too small...too old...too, whatever!"

I guess I just got sick of it. So, naturally when talk came of this new owner, NBA "good 'ol boy" Clay Bennett moving the team to Okie-land, I was a bit apathetic. Don't get me wrong, I hate to see the team leave, but after all, it is a private organization, run by owners, not a public team. Clay has every right to run his organization how, and where he wants to.

Then, news came this past week of former owner, Howard Schultz now looking to sue Mr. Bennett for breaching the contract, which was that there would be a good faith effort to keep the team in Seattle. Well as the news came out seemingly pointing to the idea that Bennett wanted to move the team all along, Schultz wants to sue (most likely just to be Seattle's favorite guy again).

Some how this new twist got me interested again in the destiny of the team that I grew up loving. I think it is the fight that got me stirred up again. There is just something about a good fight for something that gets me interested. I'm not talking about a brawl, with broken bottles and bar stools flying, but just the essence of fighting for something.

Go Schultzy, stick it to the Good 'Ol Boy!

3 comments:

Tim said...

Jay - I'm going to burst your bubble. Your Sonics are as good as gone.

You might as well go aheand and adopt a real team, like the Phoenix Suns! Yeah baby!

Anonymous said...

Jay, nice post. If you still feelin' that fight, come to the Save Our Sonics volunteer committee meeting this Thursday May 22 at Mercer Island Library from 7pm to 9pm.

Anonymous said...

Jay - do you have a copy of the Sir Mix-a-Lot song, "No, Not in Our House?" Everyone is looking for that & no one can find it.

let me know
Cheers
Jeremy
sonicsfansunited@yahoo.com