Friday, June 8, 2007

Subduing the Backyard

Well, I spent a good portion of my day off in the back yard battling stickerbushes and vines. Armed with a pair of garden shears, and a golf club I set off to subdue the wilderness which is........my backyard. After a few hours and more than a few scratches on my legs and arms and one giant blister on my hand, I call it quits.

As I was swinging and chopping and hauling the rubble away, I couldn't help but thinking that this was good therapy (especially for a guy who basically talks for a living). When you look at an area that you have been working in, and at the end of your efforts it looks better....that's a good feeling. It reminded me of what God told Adam in Genesis 1, "fill the earth, and subdue it." God is pleased when we wisely use the earth to our benefit...in fact, that's why he put us here.

So as I type with my blistered, scratched up fingers, I reflect on doing the "Lord's work" in my backyard today, instead of at the church every other day.

peaceinpuyallup

No comments: