Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Passing on what was Passed on

So yesterday I was reading in Isaiah (chapter 39) about a man named Hezekiah. He was the king that was supposed to die, but God spared his life and extended it another 15 years.....well the part that got me thinking was when God let him know that in a few generations all of the riches of his kingdom that had been passed along to him from his forefathers would be carried off to another land. Even his own sons and grandsons would be carried away to serve foreign kings. Hezekiah's reaction to this startles me. He said, "that's good.....at least there will be peace in my time."

Can you imagine knowing that future generations will be enslaved and impoverished and thinking that is a good thing, just because it's not you?

I think about my kids, and all that I want to give to them--how I want them to do better than I do, and accomplish more. I think about how my parents have done the same for me.

Time, money, relationships, careers, education, environment, politics, spirituality, attitudes toward the poor.....all of these we will pass on.

We need to pursue the best right now, but not at the expense of our children, and of those who come after us.

Just a few thougths....peaceinpakistan.

No comments: