Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Israel & Jordan Top Ten (Part 2)

So we have been home for a week now.  I have thought about our trip a bit more, and here is part 2 of the list:


5.  Meeting new people and making new friends.
Ok, so I didn't have to ride on a plane for 20 hours to do this, but there is something about seeing people on the other side of the world, shaking their hands, sharing a meal with them, hearing their stories, seeing them laugh, that makes you realize how many interesting people there are.  I loved talking to our tour guide Ikey Korin, and our bus driver David, learning some Hebrew phrases (butchering it, I am sure).  It was interesting to talk to our Jordanian guide, Jamil, and hearing about his life an family.  Trips like this are cool for their Biblical and historical significance, but also for their "people significance."

Plus, I loved getting to know the other 28 people that were on the trip with us.  I have a lot of new friends all over now!  That's cool.

4.   Standing in the place where Paul appealed to Caesar
And thereby brought the witness of Christ and the Good News of the Gospel to the most influential city on earth.  It was from Rome that the church grew to reach every corner of the earth.  This is in the palace of Herod in the port town of Caesarea.  This is the story recorded in Acts 25.

Paul knew that his life and ministry would be difficult and that he must suffer, but he also knew that he was to testify to the gentiles and the leaders of the gentiles.  He knew that he wasn't meant to die on a backroad between Caesarea and Jerusalem at the hands of murderers.  He knew that the Good News would be preached all over the world, and he was determined to engage himself in the promise of Christ (that is in the next point).


3.  Caeserea Philippi--The Gates of Hell and the promise of Christ


It was in this place that Jesus made his promise to build his church, and even the very gates of Hell could't prevail against it.  Behind me in the picture is the cave from where a river in ancient times flowed, and was referred to as the "gates of Hell."  This was a center of pagan worship, and a pretty dark place (although impressive), yet it was here that Jesus gave his promise to build his unstoppable church.  I love this place because it reminds me that to be involved in building the Church, we are living the fulfillment of Jesus own prophecy.  Whenever the Church grows, and salvation comes to one more, Jesus is building his Church.  What Jesus says can be counted on!

2.  Perspective
Ok, so this is a bit less concrete than the others on the list, but one thing about traveling around the world that I love is the change you can feel in yourself.  I have walked where Jesus, the disciples, the prophets walked.  I have experienced new cultures, met new people, eaten new foods.  I am a different person.  I read the Bible differently.  I see people differently.  I watch the news differently.  I have a new lens through which I can view the world.  I can relate to my own struggles and experiences with greater clarity.  I can see myself as a part of a bigger world.  I think that's cool, and I am glad to have been able to share that experience with my wife, and with my oldest daughter.  Sandy and I hope to take all of our kids in the future.

1. Baptizing my daughter Talia in the Jordan River.
I can't express adequately how happy I am that our girls are growing in their faith and are wanting to serve the Lord for themselves.   All of our girls have been baptized in water, and now one of the four have been baptized in the Jordan River.  I can't wait to baptize the other three in the Jordan some day.



No comments: